Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

My mom's transistor radio..................

Even before me there was it. None among us in the family knows the real of "age" our mom's transistor radio, my elder sister who's in her early 50's can't remember when she first saw the transistor radio in our home, or in "their" home before I was born in a different home hahahaha anyway, What is it  really about the transistor radio that I want to write about today?

It's been with with us for as long as I can remember, I recall switching it on stormy mornings waiting for class suspension announcements from the DECS (DepEd nowadays), I remember my mom getting so disappointed listening to the lively cheers on the radio when Marcos left for Hawaii during the 1986 Edsa revolution and when Erap left Malacanang during the 2000 uprising led by Gloria Macapagal and Fidel Ramos and I remember my Mom cuddling that radio along with her other important belongings  when we left our house during the Mt. Pinatubo eruption in 1992.

That transistor radio has been with us for so long that it became our source of information on important national events all throughout these yearssssssssss. it has been with us so long that it witnessed how our parents were able to change our lives with their patience and hard work, my mom who hails from one of the poorest municipalities of my country was raised by her farmer parents in a place and time where daily survival was more important than getting a formal education, she got married early and tried her luck in a different city, I'm sorry she "didn't tried her luck" She "made" lady luck smile on her through her persistence to succeed, Once she told me a story how she started her meat butchering business with a P0.50 capital, don't misread it, that's fifty centavos not fifty pesos, just can't find the centavo sign on my keyboard. Her fifty centavos grew up into God knows how much, non among us in the family doesn't really know how much she is worth because she doesn't have a bank account, she doesn't believe in the banking system, she keeps her money  in pails (yes you read it right "pails") old bags, between old books and other odd places.

With her fifty centavos she was able to give us a descent education (We were sent to good schools on courses of our choice), We had a good home with everything that we needed in it during our younger years and we were regarded respect for simply being our Mom's children. 

Maybe now you are starting to think that I probably chose the wrong title for this post, I don't think I did because I want you to see the methaporical relationship between my Mom and her transistor radio;
1. They've been with us since we can't even remember when.
2. They haven't failed us in times that we need them, not a single time.
3. They've been our source of important advisories.
4. They have succeeded in resisting change, my Mom wouldn't swap her radio for the latest ipod or ipad and we wouldn't want any other mother except for her.
5. They both have grown old through the years that they both need special care, fresh new batteries always for the radio and more attention and love for my Mom.

I think they both deserve it in return for all the things they have done for us through the years........

No comments:

Post a Comment