Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Waiting for the "breaks"

I've been having a difficult time recalling the names of people that I have to write letters to on this blog, so I decided to take a break and write about something else, it's about something that I have observed about "Life".

I have an eleven year old son, (stop computing, I know. I know. I got married early, I broke family tradition hahaha). He is currently on his 5th grade at school where he remains to be the top student of his class since his nursery days,at a very young age we have introduced to him the concept of  reality and the difference between someone who works hard and someone who gets the "breaks". Here are the things we have taught him;

1. Life is full of twists and turns, do your best and wait for your break hoping it will come.
2. How intelligent you are is not a yardstick on how much money you will make, I've seen a lot of dumb people make their first million at a very young age.
3. Life is never simple as we were taught it is, the old concept was, study hard, find a job and you will make a lot of money if your transcript of records looks good. Damn it, I did so well in school and I'm not earning that much today.
4. It's important to establish a "network of friends". Most of the time it is not what you know that matters, It's who you know.

Don't take it against me, I am not in anyway undermining the importance of education, I am not teaching my child to just sit down there  and wait for his "break" to come, I used to be an advocate of education, I  was  an educator myself, what I am trying to teach my child is what "reality" is in the battlefield of life, so as to discount the possibility of him getting disgusted on how "unfair" life is when he realizes how hard he works and he is still not getting the things that he wants. Believe me, I know how that feeling can ruin your sense of self-value, I know how shattered someone could feel when you have more thoughts in your brain than money in your pocket, I know how it feels seeing people get very well paid for doing things so poorly, when you know you can do much better but you don't get the chance because you don't know enough number of "people" to get you there.

Our elders would always say, "Life is a wheel"................... you just have to pray hard that yours is not flat.........

No comments:

Post a Comment